Serial Port in DosBox

support in other languages than Slovak and Czech

Serial Port in DosBox

Poslaťod Serial Port in DosBox » 07 Dec 2005, 10:42

Hi,

I use DosBox to run old commandline programms under Windows XP. Many of the old programms runing fine in DosBox, but there is a problem with the serial port.

One of the old DOS programms uses the serial port to send some data to a external old hardware. And this doesn't work!

Is there a known problem with the serial port in DosBox running under XP?

Can someone help me?

Best regards
Carsten
Serial Port in DosBox

Poslaťod mm-marek » 07 Dec 2005, 15:59

try set directserial in the doxbox.conf file....

or you can use
http://www.eltima.com/products/serial-port-monitor/

This is a program (trialware 14 days) that monitors Windows serial ports. You can use this to capture any data sent and received through any Windows COM port. If DosBOX is sending something to serial ports then it has to go through the Windows serial driver and the data will be captured by this program.
mixadesign.com || mixa.name
Používání DosBoxu doporučuje devět z deseti uživatelů tohoto fóra - tak neváhejte a staňte se desátým!
Obrázok užívateľa
mm-marek
Administrátor
Administrátor

Poslaťod Hosť » 07 Dec 2005, 21:47

Thanks for your fast answer!

I use the following serial settings

directserial=true
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=9600
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

In my understanding, this should give me a virtual port1 in DosBox with 9600 8N1 settings thats uses the real COM1 of my PC.

But the idea with the monitor I thik is very helpful! I will try it in the next few days. I will post here the result of the test.

Have still a nice day! :D

Carsten
Hosť

Poslaťod mm-marek » 07 Dec 2005, 21:51

Carsten píše:I will try it in the next few days. I will post here the result of the test.

good idea...

hope you well :)
mixadesign.com || mixa.name
Používání DosBoxu doporučuje devět z deseti uživatelů tohoto fóra - tak neváhejte a staňte se desátým!
Obrázok užívateľa
mm-marek
Administrátor
Administrátor

Poslaťod Hosť » 12 Dec 2005, 09:55

Hi,

now I had time to check my serial port with the Serial-Monitor.

I could see that one single byte come out of the serial port, but nothing more. :roll:

Is it possible that the serial port in DosBox is only able to send data, but unable to receive data?

However, I think there is no solution for my problem. I read in other borads, that DosBox has some problems with the serial port. So I think the best is to install Win98 on by computer parallel to XP. :(

Many thanks for your help!

best regards,
Carsten
Hosť

Poslaťod nebudu » 12 Dec 2006, 12:04

i used this:

first download patches from this site http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/
I dowloaded "More serial port improvement" and "DLL package" and extracted all files to the DOSBOX directory

then set in dosbox.conf:

serial1=directserial comport:1 realport:com1 defaultbps:9600 parity:N bytesize:8 stopbit:1

and then i won another big battle against computer :-)
my com is working in DOSBOX, yeaaaaaah
nebudu
Nováčik
Nováčik

Späť na English Support

Kto je on-line

Užívatelia prezerajúci fórum: Majestic-12 [Bot] a 1 hosť